Tuesday, June 29, 2010

BMI Jazz Composer's Workshop Concert


I always look forward to this annual concert which features the finest works created during the year's BMI Jazz Composer's Workshop.  I was a workshop participant in 2004 and again in 2007 when I was selected as a finalist for the Charlie Parker Composition Prize.  It was an incredibly valuable opportunity to meet regularly with Jim McNeely, Michael Abene and Mike Holober --- three of the world's most respected composers for jazz orchestra --- to discuss my music, as it was being written.  It really helped in shaping how I approach orchestration, the development of musical ideas and formal planning.  Several of the pieces on my recently released CD, "Re:Visions, Works for Jazz Orchestra", were developed within the Composer's Workshop.  These include "Bad Dream" and "Jana's Song" for which I have posted audio samples on the right hand column of this blog.

I especially look forward to hearing this year's Manny Albam Commission, written by Sara Jacovino.  I'll be sitting there with my notepad, collecting (stealing?) ideas.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment