Friday, October 28, 2011

UConn Jazz Ensemble Concert - Tuesday, Nov. 1st


If you're in the Storrs / Mansfield, CT area, I hope you will consider attending the UConn Jazz Ensemble concert this coming Tuesday, Nov. 1st at 7:30 p.m. in von der Mehden Recital Hall.  The group will be performing seven pieces by the NYC-based, award-winning composer, Nathan Parker Smith.

The instrumentation of the group is 2 trumpets, French horn, trombone, alto sax, tenor sax, bari sax, piano, bass and drums.  This is the same instrumentation I chose for my professional 10tet, "the New Directions Ensemble".  Both Nathan and I are clearly influenced by Jim McNeely, who first used this instrumentation on his 2002 Grammy-nominated recording, "Group Therapy".

My students have worked diligently in preparing this challenging, fun music, and I am very proud of the progress they have made --- both as an ensemble and as soloists.

Nathan will work directly with the students, in rehearsal, on the afternoon of the 1st.  What a great opportunity!  I'm sure my students will have many questions for him.  I certainly do.

Nathan Parker Smith's work was recommended to me by composer Dave Rivello, for whom I have tremendous respect.  I haven't yet met Nathan, except through our e-mail exchanges.  I heard / saw him conduct the BMI / NY Jazz Orchestra at the Summer Showcase concert of the BMI Jazz Composer's Workshop two years ago, when he won the Charlie Parker Jazz Composition Prize.

I highly recommend this concert.  We've worked on this music for the past two months, and it would be fantastic to have a full house.  Please join us and bring your family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment