Friday, January 13, 2012

Why Go To Church?

I vented in my last post by providing a top 10 list of "Why I Hate Going to Church".  So, if going to church is such a drag for me, perhaps you're wondering why I bother attending?  I'll be honest in telling you that some weeks it is a real struggle. 

This post is written more for my benefit, than any other reason.  In my wife's blog, she recently expressed her desire to be more intentional in all aspects of her life.  I have tremendous respect for this approach.  Here's my attempt to identify and be clear regarding my motivations in heading out each Sunday morning:

  • At this stage in life, raising my kids properly is a primary focus.  I want them to grow up benefiting from biblical/spiritual and moral training.  To an extent, this can be done at home, but I appreciate having the input of others too.  Plus, according to David Murrow's book, there is a much greater chance that my kids will continue in their faith as adults if I, as their father, attend church with them.
  • I am a Christian, a "follower of Christ".  In some people's eyes that might make me appear weak, foolish or illogical, but it's hard to disprove Jesus' historical existence.  I aspire to live my life according to his teachings.  No matter what your beliefs are, wouldn't the world be a better place if everyone tried to live like Jesus?  In addition to reading the Bible on my own, sermons and Sunday school classes can potentially provide valuable insight and reminders.   
  • Although I often feel like an outsider at church, there are advantages to being part of "a community".  I do have some friends there, and my wife and I are benefiting from the parental mentorship we are receiving from older couples who have significantly more life experience and wisdom to share.
  • The Bible makes it clear that God desires our worship.  The church we currently attend refers to both of their Sunday morning services as "worship services".  So, what is worship?  One simple definition is the expression of our love and appreciation to God.  There is much for which I am thankful, and I do this privately in prayer.  But, within so-called worship services, I must admit that I often feel like I'm enduring a form of musical torture.  For me, there is no worship during 60% of a Sunday morning service, ...but I digress.
  • At least in theory, church makes it easy to serve our fellow man and God simultaneously.  I see this as a plus.

Yes, I have frustrations with church.  Maybe I haven't found the ideal church for me, but I'm beginning to think that place might not exist.  Maybe my spirit of dissatisfaction is a good thing. (At the risk of sounding "churchy", maybe God will use this in some way.)  I guess we'll see.

After reading my last blog post, a friend sent me the following video clip.  It's not exactly my style, but it certainly is relevant.
  


2 comments:

  1. I am surprised you didn't refer to Hebrews 10:24-25. A well written blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right. I did overlook this passage. Here it is, for the benefit of anyone reading these comments:

      "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

      Delete