Sunday, February 19, 2012

Un-American

I've entitled today's blues "Un-American".  As a Canadian living in the US, I can't help but chuckle at the frequency with which this term is used in U.S. political discourse.

This piece utilizes an AABA form, where the A sections are a 12-bar blues and the B section is 8 measures.  I used a sequence of secondary dominants to take us to the IV chord in measure 5.  Imposing this cycle makes the tune more challenging/interesting for the improviser.  This is a well known device which has been used by many jazz musicians over the years.

The second half of each A section is improvised.  For fun, I also inserted the [dominant] cycle in measures 9 and 10, although one might choose to overlook these chords, as I suppose it is possible to have too much of a good thing (chocolate cake also comes to mind).  

The B section is a standard "I've Got Rhythm" bridge, although I put it in another key so as to lead to the flat II chord at the beginning of the third A section.

I dedicate this one to Newt.  Good luck with colonizing the moon.





No comments:

Post a Comment