Thursday, March 1, 2012

Done and Done

Finished!!!

It has been quite the journey.  I am fairly pleased with most of the pieces I have written over the past 30 days.  I am particularly fond of these ten: 23, 19, 16, 15, 14, 11, 9, 7, 5, 2 ...although its kind of like choosing your favorite offspring --- it really can't be done!  If there is a standout in your opinion, please let me know.

At some point in the near future I hope record corresponding audio files for each.  I intend to compile and post them on my web site.

This final piece in my 30 day song-writing challenge uses a phrygian blues progression as the improvised bridge within a 32-bar, AABA tune.  I'm calling it "Heart of Darkness".  Nothing says dark quite like the phrygian mode.  Here it is:



While I'm on the topic of darkness...  a couple of weeks ago, two of my friends presented me with the latest beer they had (home) brewed, called "Earl's Heart of Darkness".  Here's a photo:


During the same week, another friend took my photo with his new camera, and then sent me the following mock album cover for my next CD:


Maybe it's just a coincidence, or maybe I really do need to "lighten up".  I may start by taking a break from self-imposed composition deadlines.  I've certainly got enough real ones.

Thanks for joining me on this ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment